Barge Information — All scheduled times are Eastern time.
Please note: the closing times listed are the last trip from the island. If you are coming back to the island, and the last trip from the island is 9:45 PM, you need to be at the mainland landing by 9:50 PM.
SUMMER schedule starting May 25th through September 2nd:
- Sunday – Thursday — 8 AM to 9:45 PM
- Friday and Saturday — 8 AM to 11:45 PM
FALL schedule starting September 3rd through November 3rd (?):
- Tuesday & Thursday — 8 AM to 11 AM and 3 PM to 6 PM
- Friday 12 Noon to 10:45 PM
- Saturday 8 AM to 10:45 PM
- Sunday 8 AM to 8:45 PM
Diamond Island Association assumes no liability for landings use, barge use, or damage to an owner and/or guest property.
Pass sellers: Please be considerate of the time when visiting a pass seller’s home to purchase passes.
Linda Domberg # 4
Carol Anastasio # 101
Mike Andrasco # 30
Diamond Island Association Ferry Rules
- The use of the landings and the ferry are strictly at the risk of the property owner and/or their guests. Diamond Island Association assumes no liability for its use or any resulting damage. Travel at your own risk or don’t travel.
- Vehicle stickers are to be permanently attached and placed on the bottom DRIVER’S side front window!
- If member households are using multiple vehicles (car, truck, SUV, motorcycle), each vehicle must have a sticker or use a guest pass. Stickers must be permanently attached and not moved from one vehicle to another or the sticker may be revoked by the Island Board. Trailers are also required to use a guest pass.
- A fee of $7.00 will be charged to issue a replacement sticker.
- After dark, when you have alerted the ferry operator you are at the landing awaiting transport, turn your headlights off if possible– don’t blind the operator.
- Do not drive on or off the ferry without being directed by the operator to do so. The operators are being instructed to follow this practice.
- Drive slowly when getting on or off the ferry for the safety of the operators and to avoid possible bottoming out of your vehicle.
- Follow the operators’ instructions as to which side of the ferry they instruct you to place your vehicle. While the ferry is being loaded it is the responsibility of the operator to properly distribute the weight, so the ferry does not bottom out and incur damage at the landings.
- It is advised that drivers make sure your vehicle is in park and engine is turned off when the barge operator indicates you are in place on the ferry and remain that way during passage on the ferry.
- PLEASE DO NOT GET OUT OF YOUR VEHICLE without a valid reason to do so. It is a distraction to the operator and a safety hazard. Do so at your own risk.
- All trailers require a separate guest pass for the trailer.
- Motorhomes and heavier trucks and/or heavier trucks and trailers must load down the center of the ferry (depending on weight and width) and are required to pay a $20 “down-the-middle” fee.
- Vehicle stickers or guest passes cannot be purchased for other property owners.
- Renters of island property will be allowed to purchase guest passes from the Treasurer if the homeowner has not purchased sufficient passes.
- Dump trucks on the ferry will be limited to no larger than one-ton trucks or a maximum of 30,000 pounds and will be loaded down the middle.
- Homeowners are requested not to have construction vehicles use the ferry the day before and on the three major holiday weekends (Memorial Day, Fourth of July and Labor Day).
- For large delivery trucks or other oversized vehicles, members must obtain a truck permit in advance. The fee is $20. The maximum weight limit for the barge is currently 30,000 pounds. Trucks 25,000 pounds or more are required to have a weight slip each time they cross and are not allowed on the ferry without one. Community Mills on the South End of Cassopolis has scales and can provide them a weight slip.
- The only foot passengers allowed are the operators and designated residents doing inspections or maintenance work. Foot passengers should be rare, but some exceptions can be made for those retrieving mail or on holiday weekends. Foot passengers travel at their own risk and the Diamond Island Association assumes no liability for injury. On holidays, any visiting foot passengers must identify the resident and/or cottage number where they are expected before the barge leaves the mainland. Those who request to come to the island from the mainland and vice versa, need to wait until vehicles are loaded and stay towards the middle of the barge. Foot passengers should be prepared to brace themselves as the barge approaches the landing to avoid falls and injury. It would be most helpful if residents would make the barge operator aware of guests expecting to walk on.
- The barge operator will be completing all paperwork (guest passes, construction logs, and temporary passes) before leaving the landing.
- Golf carts are allowed on the barge on a limited basis. Those who are doing maintenance on the barge, island business, or require a cart to get their mail will be allowed. Follow the instructions of the barge operator on placement. The brake must be set before the barge leaves the landing. The driver and any passengers (limited to the seating capacity of the cart) shall remain in or with the cart in case the brake releases. Golf carts will not take preference over passenger cars and/or trucks.
- Bicycles – are allowed the use of the ferry. Bicycles will be loaded after all vehicles are loaded. Riders will not ride the bicycle onto or off the ferry, it must be walked into position. Bicycles will be placed along the outboard sides of the ferry and riders must stay with their bicycle at all times. Bicycles will be unloaded after all vehicles are off the barge unless otherwise indicated by the barge operator.
Thank you for helping to keep passage on the barge as safe as possible!
The Barge Operation Guidelines for Operators can be found by clicking this link or in the Member Only Information.
2019 Ferry Contractor/Delivery Guidelines can be found by clicking this link 2019.08.25.DIA FERRY Contractors Final.v2 or in the Member Only Information.